Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sound the Alarm! It's a Mexican crossing the border to the USA

There are times in life where you feel that things are simply slipping away from you. These can come by means of various events - a death, a change in lifestyle, or indeed someone dear leaving your side for good. Of course, in terms of the latter, the internet has facilitated our lives to the extent that we can even see one another via webcam despite being thousands of miles apart. However, one thing for certain is that despite these technological advancements, and efforts to make even more progress in this field, nothing can substitute the feeling of being physically close to another person.

I, like a few others, find myself in the rather precarious position of having dealt with one friend already departing for the abyss that is called British Columbia, Canada and having to deal with another friend who is going to study and live in London (both know who they are, obviously, and certain readers will know that too). While the first was quite a blow, it's the second strike that's going to be the killer; this despite the fact that I value both these friends equally high. It's hard to acknowledge and indeed even accept this fact that somewhat lies on my doorstep and is approaching my room upstairs at an increasingly rapid speed. These two people who I perhaps took a bit for granted have now gone or are going as fast as a Mexican would travel across the border to the USA.

Of course, as I previously said, it's not the end of the world - first and foremost (Gabriel Galea please take note), there's the internet, a fantastic tool which has facilitated all communications greatly. Secondly, while my two friends have gone to study abroad on a permanent basis, it's not like they won't be returning to Malta at some point in time in the future. Provided I'm still alive (I always seem to associate death with myself, I think it's just something stuck in my nature or else I am the new Albert Camus) I will obviously see them when they come back to the rock. So yes, all is not lost - it never has been.

Having said that, and on this note I will conclude this short and sad blog, I'll miss them. Both of them. Greatly. Always.

God bless in your journeys,
Matti

3 comments:

Bonnie_xx said...

I wouldn't bet on our new British Columbian coming back too soon, or well making Malta her home again :(

Jenny said...

thank you sweetheart it means a lot... wel i dont have to tell you that it does :) xxxx

Matti said...

I don't think she'll make Malta her home again but I'm quite confident that she will come back for the summer holidays next year...

And for Jen, well, I wouldn't have written this blog if the two people I wrote about didn't mean so much to me...