Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Story Behind My Brothers and Sisters

You know, being an only child has its pros and its cons. And being in that position that not too many seem to experience nowadays, I feel a comment coming from me on something like this is only apt.

It certainly makes you think. That is why, being in such a position that I am, I often crave for brothers and sisters now. I always ask the question "What if?" and always consider how I would have developed as an individual had I directly had other people around me. I definitely consider the fact that I wouldn't be half as fortunate as I am today, what with my situation and all, but also consider the fact that being there, alone, without company... many a time, it just sucks.

That's why I feel the need to be so close to my friends. The friends that I crave so badly. That's why, I guess, there were moments when I really felt lonely when I wasn't - and everyone else was - at Soul Survivor. You see, when you're an only (I can't believe that that was initially typed as 'old'!!) child, friends become such an integral part of your life to the extent that you can't live without them. Practically ever. I suppose that's exactly the reason why I consider a select group of my friends like my brothers and my sisters. Take note though, there's a difference in calling them brother and sister as opposed to brethren. By virtue of the way how I see things, at least - even though I may not be right in thinking in this manner - brethren are our brothers and sisters in Christ, while brothers and sisters are those people that you can rely on in thick and thin and keep close to your heart at all times. They are our pillars of strength.

Missing Soul Survivor did indeed teach me one thing though - always continue looking for such brothers and sisters, because you can practically never have enough of them. Over the course of the last week, despite the fact that I could have occasionally died of boredom, I'm pleased to say that I managed to find another person who I can add to this list; a person who I've been very fond and held in high regard for quite a while now (and vice-versa), despite our differences. So yeah, welcome to my 'family'. It's not exactly a big one, but slowly slowly, and very selectively, it is growing... though sometimes, you might also have to temporarily or permanently chuck out some members so that you make sure you're always surrounded by the right crowd.

Sorry if this didn't make any sense, I just needed to get it off my chest. And on a side note, thank goodness - THEY'RE BACK! (even though its now been two days and hence this blog is, I guess two days late in its publication.)

God Bless You all!
Matti

7 comments:

Jenny said...

hope youre feeling better x

niiic said...

matt i think this blog is really sweet

Anonymous said...

Dude,i agree with most oif it,all i disagree with is the part of you chucking out temporarily or permanently anyone of the group,in order for you to be in the right crowd.All i can sasy is,you musn't judge people,who are you to say,he isnt a good person,or,he is,you have no right,every1 has good in them,u have to search for it.:)

Matti said...

I'd love to know who these anonymous people who comment are.

You might not agree with it, but sometimes it is indeed necessary. If you know that people are either being a negative influence on you or else they are no longer willing to be close friends with you, what can you do? Keep them close to your heart and then end up by - God forbid - doing the same thing/s as they're doing? That's why I spoke about the 'temporary' discarding, because there is ALWAYS the opportunity to welcome them back into the 'family'. Personally, I have never 'discarded' anyone permanently, as I'm not the type to do so, and would only do this if someone hurts me to the extent that I cannot even tolerate such a person any longer. However, such a temporary 'discarding' is sometimes perhaps inevitable.

That being said, you bring up a very valid point in stating that everyone has good in them. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Unknown said...

fellow only-child =]

u forgot to mention an upside of being an only child ... from day 1 we're surrounded by people our age who don't live under the same roof, and we're meant to make things work. From day 1 we related with people we didnt live with...so today it gives us a small boost in confidence around people we dont know =]

Matti said...

I don't agree totally with that for various reasons... but they're personal more than anything else, so I'd rather say that such an argument is subjective.

Unknown said...

youuuuure subjective X)