Thursday, June 3, 2010

Earn Your Stripes

Nothing's ever easy in life, and as time passes by, I'm starting to realise this more and more.

There was a time when education was easy, where one would have to learn the basic principles of long multiplication and that would come out in an exam; or where one would read 'My Family and Other Animals' as a form of English literature. Those were the days, although in all fairness, at the time these things seemed hard too, in their context.

I look at where I was 10 years ago - that's really far back but, at the same time, not - and look at where I am now, and I notice two things in particular: how quickly those 10 years have passed and how much nothing learnt back then really applies to what I'm learning now. Hell, nothing that I learnt in Sixth Form even applies to what I'm doing now. So has my education, till University level, just been a waste of time, although it's often stated that whatever is learnt never goes to waste?

To reach University, we've all had to earn our stripes, but in a course such as law, with the (lack of) entry requirements being a haven for countless people and countless idiots to enter the course accordingly (especially if such people did not attain sufficient grades to get into medicine and did not want to resit their exams, and hence opted for law as their 'drop-out' option), haven't our stripes been earned for pretty much nothing? So what if I have a certificate stating that I got a 'C' in English and French that enabled me to commence my tertiary education... what use does that have now? At least, for those people studying Biology A Level, their knowledge will be built upon at University when doing a course such as Medicine, Pharmacy or BSc Biology and Chemistry.

Something like this, in my opinion, really defies logic. Education is meant to be a building up process in one's life; and till Sixth Form, it indeed was. But the discrepancy between post-secondary education and education at tertiary level is enormous, and has (perhaps justifiably) led me to think that prior to reaching law school, I just wasted 18 years of my life beating around the bush and satisfying the authorities to get there. Certain things have to be learnt, naturally, as otherwise we would all be unknowledgeable at the very most, but I find myself much more likely doing certain basic additions now than using Pythagoras' Theorem anytime soon; and much more likely trying to converse in Maltese as opposed to learning the latest poems as written by Ruzar Briffa or Dun Karm Psaila. Or, god forbid, Mario Azzopardi - the morbid creature.

God Bless You all!
Matti

4 comments:

gruppetta said...

something everyone thinks about but we all keep it to ourselves... i usually dont like leaving comments... but this is spot on haha

Matti said...

Hahaha thanks grup :)

Unknown said...

biggest disparity of our whole educational life so far: I'm having to memorise more stuff at uni than I ever had to. I think I used to have to analyse more thing in secondary school than we have to in these exams..bloody ridiculous :S

Matti said...

You're right ah Han.

This course is a bit too parrot-like for my liking. The only exams, so far, where I've been asked to apply my knowledge are TWO in three years. TWO exams. And I've taken what... around 25? It's absurd... in Universities outside Malta, people are not examined on how much they can remember but on how much they can apply their knowledge.