Sunday, March 21, 2010

Paceville: Is it Dead?

How times change. (?)

Last Friday, I decided to head off to Paceville in what was probably the first time in an eternity. A real eternity - so much so, I don't even remember the time that I last went, prior to last Friday. It's no secret that Paceville and I really don't click, as a general rule - I don't like the clubbing scene and the clubbing scene doesn't like me either (due to my relatively low energy levels), so actually finding myself there, having arrived at 1am, was already a considerable achievement for me. Of course, this was all reliant on finding a parking space as close to the centre of Paceville as possible, as I sure wasn't up for a walk down to the St. Julian's Church car park afterwards; but having completed this task, I set out thinking that with quite a few friends there, the night should be okay, if not fun. Furthermore, I expected the place to be bustling with people, just like how it was in the olden times.

How wrong I was.

What I found in front of me - at a relatively late part of the night, as this wasn't 9pm! - was central Paceville about as barren as it would be during the day. Okay, granted, there were a few people here and there, but for the most part, the square was empty. Such a sight actually amazed me, as I wasn't expecting it in the least, especially on a Friday - and a public holiday, to boot. To my knowledge, there weren't any parties in particular on that day either, so that left me even more at odds as to how this could be explained.

This actually led me to question whether I'm so out of tune and outdated that Paceville, which was definitely the in-thing when I was in my late teens, has passed its expiry date. To see clubs such as Sabor - which was a Saturday must when at SAC - empty and shutting down operations at half 1 in the morning left me bewildered and flabbergasted to say the least. Needless to say, bars such as Republik were also as lifeless as anything. Peppermint Park was hardly bustling either. There seem to be two possible answers to all of this - either my above-mentioned query is indeed correct, or else crowds seem to favour things happening in a different part of Paceville. Comments in this regard would be appreciated, principally to appease my curiosity.

In any event, how things change in such a short space of time.

God Bless You all!
Matti

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was Good Friday so not many people go out,thats why it was so dead,Sabor is mainly good on a saturday,republik and peppermint are usually good oin a daily basis,buit once again it was Good Friday,people also went out on thursday night,and were prob savin up for the 4 different parties that there were on saturday,and the main IN places to be are havana and hugos passion or hugos sahdow lounge,qube,plush lounge,purple room[in plush lounge] and on a saturday 121 lounge,and then theres also escobar and the nordic bar,but the real in place rit not is havana dude,get ur facts right.

Matti said...

My facts are right - and yours aren't.

Read when this post was written - Sunday 21 March 2010. The Friday before was indeed a public holiday, but it was not Good Friday. Good Friday was Friday 2 April.

Furthermore, didn't the argument revolve around how dead the centre of Paceville was, only compared to how I knew it? Indeed, I questioned where the crowd now goes. And I have the answer now, it has shifted to other places.

Anonymous said...

hey Matt ... quite true .. sumtimes i walk it to a friends house while passin tru paceville ,quite empty to wat it was ages ago xD